The Excise (Abkari) Department, Government of Sikkim looks after implementation and enforcement of The Sikkim Excise Act, 1992 (State Act) and Medicinal and Toilet Preparations Act (Excise Duties) Act, 1955 (Central Act) in the State. In addition, it strives to prevent the use of unsafe liquor and ensure informed consumption of liquor keeping in view the health and hygiene of the consumers. The Department is also a major contributor in the Revenue generation of the State Government for funding of developmental activities.
The objective of the Department comprises the following:
- Regulate manufacture, transport, possession and sale of all excisable articles
- Effective enforcement and inspection
- Generate optimal Revenue for funding of developmental activities of the State Government
- Impart training to officers and staffs for better efficiency
The Central/State Acts administered by the Department are:
- The Sikkim Excise Act, 1992 (State Act)
- The Medicinal & Toilet preparation Act (Excise Duties) Act, 1995 (Central Act).
- The Narcotic Drugs & Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985, (Central Act)
- The prevention of illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1988, (Central Act).