Economics, Statistics, Monitoring and Evaluation
The Department of Economics, Statistics, Monitoring and Evaluation (DESM&E) is the apex statistical organization of the state government and is declared as the “Nodal Agency” for all statistical activities in the State. The department was initially established as Bureau of Economics and Statistics (BES) in the year 1978. In the year 2004, the organization was upgraded to a department and was also bestowed the task of monitoring and evaluation of various schemes.
The Department of Economics, Statistics, Monitoring and Evaluation is the states’ central statistical authority both for providing the statistical man power to all the line departments and to guide and advise the state government and its different departments on matters relating to collection, analysis and dissemination of statistics. The department also acts as liasion between the State Government and the Central Government on all Statistical matters.
The Vision Statement of DESM&E “The Vision of the statistical system in the State shall be to establish systems, processes and best practices, to provide within the decentralized structure of the system, reliable, timely and credible social and economic statistics to assist decision making within and outside government, strengthen the efforts to promote economic and social development and stimulate informed debate relating to conditions affecting the life of people”.
The following are the Vision Pearl Drops:
- Develop a coherent and consistent system of data collection, analysis and dissemination within the present structure of a decentralized set of responsibilities under the constitutional framework and ensure that official statistics matches the data needs at all levels of aggregation from nation level down to sub district level and that it would be comparable both across time and space.
- Evolve, wherever required, suitable standards and methodologies and further make them dynamic as the process of strengthening state capacities progress.
- To strengthen the coordination mechanism among the data producers.
- Develop expertise among statistical personnel for independent design of surveys and studies.
- Generate base line data and provide subsequent data sets for carrying out meaningful evaluation of development programmes.
The MISSION, for the State Statistical System is to develop a coherent and consistent system of data collection, analysis and dissemination within the present structure of decentralized set of responsibilities under the constitutional framework. Such strengthening would help to improve the credibility, timeliness, reliability along with adequacy. It would also need to ensure the data generated at different levels are comparable both across time and space.